Marketing & Communications
Executive Update, March 2017
- Visits: 206,117 / up 52% from Feb. 2017
- Unique users: 175,825 / up 52% from Feb. 2017
- Pageviews: 597,990 / up 44% from Feb. 2017
Main channels total: 211,275 / up 1% from Feb. 2017
- Facebook: 140,290 likes
- Twitter: 36,475 followers
- Instagram: 33,050 followers
- Pinterest: 1,460 followers
- Snapchat: Snapchat: 3 stories, 841 unique views, 76% story completions
- Print: 14,789,317
- Broadcast: 989,286
- Online: 996,812,585
- Print: $75,435.92
- Broadcast: $447,894.78
- Online: $254,706.92
Senate Bill 6 (SB 6)
The PR team has been working hard to spread the word about SB 6 that threatens to stifle the Texas economy. Phillip J. Jones, VisitDallas President/CEO, continues to meet with legislators in Austin to educate them on the devastating impact this bill, and any discriminatory legislation, could have on the Texas economy. The team also prepared for open testimony, which occurred the first week of March.
After testimony, the Texas Senate State Affairs Committee voted 7 to 1 to advance SB 6 to the full senate for consideration. The committee's decision is only one step in the process and we now prepare for the next battle in the Texas House of Representatives. The tourism industry and business leaders are working to make sure this bill does not become law. We have been and will continue to meet with Texas Representatives, and we're encouraged by the reasonable and thoughtful response we've received.
After the Senate vote, Texas Welcomes All and VisitDallas hosted a legislative forum and panel discussion where an esteemed group of business and hospitality professionals discussed SB 6 and its expected impact on the Texas economy. Panelists included:
- Phillip J. Jones, President and CEO – VisitDallas
- Monica Paul, Executive Director – Dallas Sports Commission
- Tony Vedda, President and CEO – North Texas GLBT Chamber of Commerce
- Belinda Matingou, Regional Executive Director – Texas Association of Business and Keep Texas Open For Business
- Cathy Breden, EVP and Chief Operating Officer – International Association of Exhibitions and Events
- Paul Van Deventer, President and CEO – Meeting Professionals International
You can view the full panel discussion at TexasWelcomesAll.com.
Texas embraces diversity and inclusiveness, and we're working to make sure our state stays open to business for all. For more information on the efforts to against SB 6, visit TexasWelcomesAll.com.
Notable Press Trips
Vacations and Travel Magazine
A freelance writer and president of the Australian Society of Travel Writers visited Dallas for an outdoor adventure-themed piece for the glossy Australian travel magazine. Itinerary experiences included a bike ride around White Rock Lake and a visit to the Dallas Arboretum and exploration of Dallas' diverse neighborhoods.
Convention International is a German magazine focusing on the conventions and meetings market. The writer experienced a meetings-focused itinerary including a trip to the convention center, unique Dallas venues and traditional tourist destinations that appeal to the international business traveler.
DMA/Meadows Art FAM
In a collaboration with the Dallas Museum of Art and the Meadows Museum, the VisitDallas PR team welcomed two arts writers to the city for the opening of the Mexico exhibit at the DMA and the Ribera exhibit at the Meadows. The short, one-night trip packed a punch, with visits and interviews at both museums, a trip to the Kimbell in Fort Worth and a welcome lunch at The Rustic.
A New York freelance writer spent three nights in Dallas for a feature on Orbitz.com. The finished piece will be a comprehensive three-day city guide highlighting traditional tourist destinations and some undiscovered gems. The writer saw all sides of the city, from Trinity Groves to the Farmers Market.
The Daily Star is a UK paper publishing lifestyle and travel content. A writer visited Dallas as part of a larger Texas tour exploring cowboy culture and western heritage. The Dallas itinerary included JFK history, CityPASS attractions and Texas-inspired dining.
The PR team had a fun time working on this press trip for a German publication covering motorcycle culture. The writer was also a photographer and he captured images of a local rider and his bike at The Sixth Floor Museum, the Ronald Kirk Bridge and other Dallas landmarks. He also explored a motorcycle shop and bars in Deep Ellum.
GlobetrotterTV, a UK television production company, sent a videographer and on-air personality for an all-around report on Dallas. Highlights included funky neighborhood finds, like Truck Yard on Lower Greenville, and Dallas' modern offerings, like Klyde Warren Park and the AT&T Performing Arts Center.
NCAA Women's Final Four
In conjunction with the Dallas Sports Commission, the VisitDallas PR team completed outreach for the Women's Final Four. VisitDallas helped visitors make the most of their weekend getaway in Dallas by sharing some of the most popular attractions, restaurants and neighborhoods to explore between games.
Dallas in the News
Notable clips garnered this month:
- Arkansas Democrat-Gazette: "Kahlo art, blossoms worth trip," 3/5/17 Article
- Texas Monthly: "Eleven Reasons to Move to Dallas," 3/6/17 Article
- Austin Business Journal: "Opponents, proponents of Texas 'bathroom bill' make their case ahead of committee vote," 3/6/17 Article
- PAX Newswest: "Cowboys, culture and much more in Dallas Fort Worth," 3/6/17 Article
- Dallas Business Journal: "Dallas ranks first among Texas cities for hotel sales," 3/6/17 Article
- Washington Times-Herald: "Texas bathroom-bill testimony draws hundreds," 3/7/17 Article
- BisNow: "Third State Considers Bathroom Bill, Hotels Could Suffer," 3/8/17 Article
- PAX Newswest: "Visit Dallas celebrates new Air Canada YVR–DFW route," 3/8/17 Article
- TravelBlog: "A Bittersweet Farewell to Dallas," 3/9/17 Article
- Zagat Buzz: "Fat Chicken at Trinity Groves," 3/9/17 Article
- U.S. News & World Report: "The 10 Best Cities for LGBT Retirees," 3/9/17 Article
- Meetings and Conventions: "Texas Bathroom Bill Clears First Vote," 3/9/17 Article
- Austin Business Journal: "Will the 'bathroom bill' be flushed? Opposition mounts as Texas lawmakers scrutinize measure," 3/9/17 Article
- Vancouver Courier: "Air Canada does Dallas," 3/13/17 Article
- Havana Times: "What I Saw on a Sunday Adventure to Downtown Dallas," 3/14/17 Article
- Houstonia Magazine: "Dilly-Dallying in Dallas," 3/14/17 Article
- Western Living: "Where to Eat, Stay and Play in Dallas, Texas," 3/21/17 Article
- PureWow: "9 of the Nicest Walking Trails in Dallas for Peace of Mind (and Sure, Exercise)," 3/21/17 Article
- The Taylor House: "Dallas Top 10 CityPASS," 3/22/17 Article
- Prevue: "Art & Innovation Inspire Meetings at These 3 Dallas Hotels," 3/23/17 Article
- Venues Today: "Dallas Ready For Women's Final Four," 3/22/17 Article
- Connecticut Post: "2017 Final Four: Have tickets, will travel," 3/28/17 Article
- ESPN: "Women's Final Four Presented by Capital One on ESPN – Extensive, Multiplatform Coverage from Dallas," 3/29/17 Article
- PureWow: "Absolutely Everything to Do in Dallas from Now Until Summer," 3/30/17 Article
- Starkville Daily News: "Dallas welcomes MSU fans for Final Four," 3/31/17 Article