September 2018 Executive Update
In September, the Sales team hosted and attended a variety of events. A successful event was the Texas Society of Association Executives (TSAE) New Ideas Annual Conference. The conference broke an attendance record with more than 600 association professionals and affiliates registered. The Sales team also attended a Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA) event in Kansas City, Missouri, where the Sales team followed leads for more than 14,000 future room nights.
Shows and Sales Efforts
- TSAE New Ideas Annual Conference
- Dallas hosted the TSAE New Ideas Annual Conference at the Omni Dallas Hotel. During the event, the Sales team hosted the conference's opening night reception at Union Station and showcased Dallas' distinct neighborhoods with 10 group outings. This event was hugely successful in showing off Dallas and set a record-breaking attendance with 610 association professionals and affiliates registered.
- PCMA Client Event, Kansas City
- The Sales team hosted dinner for 60 corporate and association clients in Kansas City. During dinner the Sales team presented updates and new developments in Dallas.
- The Sales team also participated in the PCMA Heartland Topgolf event, which had more than 150 corporate and association clients in attendance. From the event, the Sales team acquired leads for 14,300 future room nights.
- Annual HelmsBriscoe Cares Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure
- VisitDallas sponsored the opening HelmsBriscoe Cares reception where approximately 40 customers and industry partners were in attendance. Also, VisitDallas participated in the Race for the Cure in New York City on Sept. 9 where the HB-Susan G. Komen team raised more than $25,000.
- Dallas Cowboys versus New York Giants and New England Customer Familiarization Tour
- In September, VisitDallas' Sales team hosted 10 meeting planners from the Northeast who represented corporate, association and SMERF business. Part of the familiarization tour included visits to several hotels and venues throughout the city and tickets to the Dallas Cowboys versus the New York Giants game at AT&T Stadium.
- American Society of Association Executives Five-Star Weekend
- VisitDallas' Sales team attended the ASAE Five-Star Weekend in Colorado Springs. During the event, the Sales team hosted David Westman, Founder & CEO of Westman & Associates Consulting, LLC and Matt Loeb, CEO of ISACA. The event had more than 90 CEOs in attendance.
- Center for Exhibition Industry Research PREDICT
- The Sales team attended the Center for Exhibition Industry Research Predict Conference at MGM National Harbor in Maryland, where the conference focused on the evolving model of trade shows and learning insights on trends.
The Sales team conducted 21 site visits with customers interested in hosting future meetings or conventions in Dallas.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
In September VisitDallas pursued numerous opportunities to engage our local ambassadors, from sponsoring opening day at the State Fair of Texas to bringing back The Edge of Texas, a two-day festival of Texas speakers and music visionaries presented by VisitDallas and produced by Texas Monthly.
New content on VisitDallas.com:
- How to save at the gate at the 2018 State Fair of Texas
- Vegan spots in Dallas
- Where to watch the Cowboys playthis fall
- A first timer's guideto the State Fair of Texas
- The Dallas Opera's 2018-2019 season
- Avoid these Fair Fails
- What to do in Dallas this fall
- Live Music at the State Fair of Texas
- 31 things to do in Dallas this October
- Latino musicat the State Fair of Texas
- Cocktail barsto check out
Digital by the Numbers
- Website Visits (sessions): 257,475
- Unique Visits (users): 215,498
- Pageviews: 577,008
- Increase from Aug. 2017
- Website Visits (sessions): 44.39 percent
- Unique Visits (users): 44.31 percent
- Pageviews: 34.36 percent
- Total Fiscal YTD:
- Website Visits (sessions): 3,022,707
- Unique Visits (users): 2,404,021
- Pageviews: 6,680,132
Social by the Numbers
- New Social Connections: 1,093
- Facebook Impressions: 392,215
- Total Fiscal YTD:
- New Social Connections: 47,884
- Facebook Impressions: 47,175,868
The Experience team conducted two promotions in September, including a promotion for the Texas Association of School Administrators/Texas Association of School Boards 2019 in Austin, Texas. Additionally, 16 groups were serviced this September including the Society of Petroleum Engineers and the Dallas County Dental Society.
- Texas Association of School Administrators/Texas Association of School Boards 2019 – Sept. 27-30, 2018 in Austin, Texas
- True Value 2019 – Sept. 26-30, 2018 in Denver
Groups serviced this month:
Sixteen groups were serviced including the following at Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas (KBHCCD):
- Dallas County Dental Society – 10,000 attendees
- Society of Petroleum Engineers – 8,700 attendees
- CAMX Site Experience
- ISSA Planning Meeting and Site Experience
Visitor Center Monthly Numbers: 3,016 Visitors
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) team continues to promote events and further efforts to work with Dallas' diverse community. In September D&I, in collaboration with the Marketing department, executed a successful media day and opening reception for the "Slavery at Jefferson's Monticello: Paradox of Liberty" exhibit at the African American Museum. The museum opening reception included remarks from Bishop T.D Jakes, Councilmember Kevin Felder and VisitDallas President & CEO Phillip Jones.
D&I Endeavors and Accomplishments
The D&I team continues to ensure that VisitDallas and its employees are representing the company's core values, as well as sponsoring and endorsing diversity events.
D&I Measures through VisitDallas' President & CEO
In September, President & CEO Phillip Jones hosted a reception for Latino community leaders at Mercado369, where more than 75 community leaders attended. During the reception, VisitDallas shared its top priorities and the economic impact of tourism for the upcoming fiscal year.
Following the African American CEO Luncheon, Jones met with Christopher Plumlee, co-founder of Elevate Strategies and Danyel Jones, CEO of Powerhanz to discuss their interest in involvement with VisitDallas.
Slavery at Jefferson's Monticello: Paradox of Liberty
The D&I team, with the Marketing department, executed a successful media day and opening reception at the African American Museum for the "Slavery at Jefferson's Monticello: Paradox of Liberty" exhibition. Several integration meetings were held previously with many partners to pull off a successful event.
North Texas GLBT Chamber of Commerce
D&I met with Cece Cox, CEO of the Resource Center, and Tony Vedda, the President and CEO of the North Texas GLBT Chamber of Commerce, to help VisitDallas identify LGBT convention leads.
D&I met with Councilmember Casey Thomas and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. President Maurice West to discuss bringing their National Conclave to Dallas.
D&I events Supported/Attended
- "Slavery at Jefferson's Monticello: Paradox of Liberty" Exhibit
- 2018 Dallas Business Journal Women in Business and Women in Hospitality Awards
- Francisco "Poncho" Medrano Town Hall Meeting
In September, the Tourism team continued its international efforts in Germany and China. Using basketball as a main attraction in Dallas, the Tourism team launched a campaign with the Chinese online travel agency, Ctrip. Part of the campaign included a contest for tickets to the Dallas Mavericks versus Beijing Ducks game. The contest was highly successful and projected to gain approximately 40 million impressions in one of VisitDallas' fastest-growing markets.
- The Tourism team planned and implemented a German media and sales mission, which included Frankfurt, Munich, and Stuttgart. The team trained with 90 travel clients and prospects, met with 40 journalists and editors and presented to the attendees at the VisitUSA road show.
- The Tourism team hosted a group of tour operators from China in partnership with American Airlines, aimed to increase stopover travel from Southern China. The Tourism team also met with Chinese receptive tour operators in Los Angeles to ensure that Dallas is included in their programs.
- Chinese Online Travel Agency: C-trip
- The Tourism team launched a campaign with the Chinese online travel agency, Ctrip. The campaign promoted travel to Dallas through the Dallas Mavericks versus Beijing Ducks basketball game in Dallas, as well as using the addition of Ding Yanyuhuang to the Mavericks. In addition to digital marketing through Ctrip's social media channels, the campaign included a media familiarization tour for seven key opinion leaders and a contest to bring two basketball fans to enjoy the game in Dallas. The campaign is projected to generate almost 40 million impressions in one of VisitDallas' fastest-growing markets.
The DTPID Arts Funding program had an impressive year with a total of almost 100 approved applications in the 2017-18 fiscal year, which totaled to approximately $1.8 million in approved funding. Also, the DTPID has approved 54 applications for the upcoming fiscal year, totaling more than $1.1 million in approved funding.
DALLAS SPORTS COMMISION
A BIG win for Dallas as the NCAA Women's Final Four will return to Dallas in 2023! The NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Committee announced on Sept. 24 that the Big 12 Conference and the Dallas Sports Commission (DSC) have been selected to host the 2023 Women's Final Four. The American Airlines Center will serve as the competition venue for the games during March 31 through April 2, 2023. This will mark the second time in six years for Dallas to host a Women's Final Four.
"Thank you to the NCAA and the Women's Basketball Committee for the opportunity to host the 2023 Women's Final Four," said Monica Paul, the executive director of the Dallas Sports Commission. "In 2017, the energy in the American Airlines Center and in the city of Dallas was unmatched, and we were blown away by the experience and the community participation. We want Dallas to be synonymous with women's basketball and we look forward to making 2023 even bigger and better," Paul said.
DSC Events in September
- AdvoCare Classic
- Cotton Bowl Stadium Prep Showcase
- Site visit with Soccer United Marketing
- Texas Open Pickleball Championship
- NCAA Women's Final Four presentation to NCAA
- Volunteer orientation for the State Fair Showdown
- SERVPRO First Responder Bowl at Dallas City Council meetings
- Finished the 2017-18 fiscal year at 120 percent of room night goal