Marketing & Communications
Executive Update, May 2017
- Visits: 241,177 / up 45% from April 2017 (+27% YOY)
- Unique users: 183,615 / up 29% from April 2017 (+12% YOY)
- Pageviews: 556,000 / up 26% from April 2017 (+19% YOY)
Main channels total: 215,656 / up 1% from April 2017
- Facebook: 141,410 likes
- Twitter: 37,315 followers
- Instagram: 35,450 followers
- Pinterest: 1,481 followers
- Print: 6,337,462
- Broadcast: 2,078,234
- Online: 583,853,172
- Print: $29,417.20
- Broadcast: $405,397.11
- Online: $174,391.95
Notable Press Trips
VisitDallas welcomed a travel journalist from the Australian publication WYZA. The focus of his visit was to explore the ways technology has enhanced visitors' experience in the city. During his visit he met with the Chief Information Officer at AT&T Stadium and other representatives at the Perot Museum, Reunion Tower and others.
In collaboration with Texas Tourism, VisitDallas hosted a group of twelve photographers and musicians from Germany who went on a Texas road trip to capture the state through their camera lens and a special music video. During the Dallas portion of their visit, the group visited Deep Ellum, Trinity Groves and Lower Greenville.
Mom Crush Monday
VisitDallas partnered with an influencer and blogger in the family travel space to promote Dallas as an ideal family travel destination. With an Instagram following of 111k and a distinct aesthetic, MomCrushMonday.com was a unique way to showcase Dallas to the sophisticated traveling mom.
American Airlines Amsterdam Partnership
American Airlines launched a new direct flight to Amsterdam in May and VisitDallas partnered with the airline to host a press trip around the inaugural flight. The writer, who was already well-versed on Dallas culture, enjoyed the arts side of the city, checking out new museum exhibits and a performance by the Dallas Opera.
An LGBT publication in the Netherlands, Winq sent a writer to Dallas for a short trip covering the city's quirkier side. The journalist enjoyed a stay at the Belmont Hotel and explored Lower Greenville and Cedar Springs.
British Airways High Life
VisitDallas welcomed media from British Airways High Life, the airlines luxury in-flight magazine, and assisted itinerary and location scouting for the magazine's eight-page front cover feature set to publish in the September issue. The photo shoot's star was local artist St. Vincent and photo shoot locations included the Belmont, Texas Theatre and Bishop Arts – St. Vincent's favorite neighborhood.
VisitDallas hosted Toronto Sun's travel editor for a couple of days at the end of the month. The journalist focused on adult family friendly activities. Itinerary stops included a Dallas City Bus Tour, Sixth Floor Museum and exploring Deep Ellum's music and art scene. CityPASS was featured prominently in the visit.
Throughout this session, VisitDallas led the opposition to the "bathroom bill" legislation by leveraging relationships with partners, community stakeholders, chambers of commerce, clients, customers, sports organizations and other Texas CVBs, asking each to reach out to Governor Greg Abbott, requesting that he not pass any discriminatory legislation.
Through ongoing efforts from our alliances of coalitions and working with business organizations and advocacy groups, the 85th Texas State Legislative Session ended on May 31, 2017, with no "bathroom bill" passed.
However, on June 6, Governor Abbott called a special session to begin on July 18, 2017. The first order of business will be passage of the Sunset Safety Net Bill that failed to pass in the regular session, which is needed to reauthorize the body that oversees licensing of doctors in the state. Once this item is complete, Abbott will add 19 items to the special session, including a "privacy/bathroom bill." Governor Abbott referenced HB 2899, which did not pass in the regular session, as an example, and said that legislation needs to cover schools "at a minimum."
We are likely to see a number of bills filed to try to address the "privacy/bathroom" item. These could range from schools-focused to sweeping legislation like HB 2899 (pre-empting local non-discrimination protections) or SB6 from the regular session.
VisitDallas remains committed to defeating any discriminatory legislation and will continue to promote Dallas and Texas as welcoming to all throughout the special session.
Dallas in the News
Notable clips garnered this month:
- Art Daily: "Mexican culture, history and scientific wonders explored in two exhibitions in Dallas," 4/30/17 Article
- Deep Fried Fit: "Virtual Sweat Date: Acro yoga, Visit Dallas, and break ups," 5/1/17 Article
- USA Today Travel Tips: "5 Largest Cities in Texas," 5/2/17 Article
- A Worthey Read: "Seeing Dallas TX With a CityPASS," 5/4/17 Article
- The Daily Meal: "Flora Street Café Is the New Standard-Setter in Fine Dallas Dining," 5/8/17 Article
- Vacation Idea: "Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza in Dallas," 5/9/17 Article
- SportsTravel: "The Fantastic Four," 5/10/17 Article
- Quartz: "The main reason Americans are ditching New York and flocking to cowboy land," 5/10/17 Article
- Meetings Today: "Destinations Celebrate Travel and Tourism Week," 5/11/17 Article
- Midwest Living: "Dallas Trip Guide," 5/12/17 Article
- Texas Highways Online: "Things To Do in Texas This Weekend: May 19-21," 5/17/17 Article
- U.S. News & World Report: "6 Relaxing Spas in Dallas," 5/19/17 Article
- Texas Highways: "Big Beers in Big D," 5/20/17 Article
- Sports Travel: "Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix Awarded 2018 USA Volleyball Championships," 5/23/17 Article
- U.S. News & World Report: "Views of Dallas," 5/23/17 Article
- U.S. News & World Report: "Texas Swagger Gaining Clout," 5/23/17 Article
- Meetings + Events: "The Adolphus Hotel Masters The Meeting Break," 5/24/17 Article
- Texas Monthly: "The List: The Top 50 Barbecue Joints in Texas," 5/24/17 Article
- Curbed: "Curbed's guide to architectural tourism across the U.S.," 5/24/17 Article
- Bisnow: "A More Multimodal Dallas Is Just A Vision Away," 5/24/17 Article
- Mic: "Best places to travel: 10 cities with the biggest discounts on airfare in June," 6/1/17 Article
- U.S. News & World Report: "5 Breweries to Visit in Dallas," 6/2/17 Article