Dallas' Original Pegasus Finds New Home At The Omni Hotel
DALLAS: The original Pegasus that once perched atop the downtown Dallas headquarters of the Magnolia Petroleum Co. from 1934 to 1999 has a new home in front of the downtown Omni Hotel, 555 S. Lamar, Dallas 75202. Installation of the red panels is expected to begin Saturday, April 25 starting at 10:00 am. The project is expected to be completed by early May.
The restoration of the original 1934 Dallas icon began in 2013. The two red flying horses measure 40 feet in length and 32 feet in height and are spaced 14 feet apart. In addition to a new derrick, weighing 12,000 lbs., and a new support structure, weighing 600 lbs, the flying red horse will incorporate a quarter mile of new neon light tubing, and rotate upon completion.
"The Pegasus is one of Dallas' most visible cultural artifacts and icons," says Office of Cultural Affairs Interim Director David Fisher. "It hearkens back to and honors the great history and story of Dallas. In this new location, the restored original Pegasus will be a popular destination for everyone who visits downtown Dallas."
The restoration and installation of the Pegasus is the result of a partnership between the City of Dallas Office of Cultural Affairs and Matthews Southwest. In the fall of 2013, the two parties entered into an agreement allowing Matthews Southwest to restore the original Pegasus panels that had been in storage for many years. The agreement outlined the understanding that the Pegasus would be displayed on City of Dallas property in front of the Omni Hotel. The restoration of the Pegasus was done by Van Enter Studios, which has overseen numerous restorations for the City of Dallas. The Pegasus will rotate atop a derrick built by Tony Collins of Tony Collins Art, the company that will conduct routine maintenance on the mechanism and structure for the next 10 years.