Tourism - Executive Update
- Tourism staff joined the Visit USA Roadshow in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney, Australia. In one week, the team was able to train more than 700 influential agents on new Dallas product. In addition, the team hosted individual meetings with 25 tour operators to develop new Dallas programs for 2019.
- The Tourism team planned and implemented a media and sales mission to Mexico City, including sales calls, educational presentations and strategic meetings. We also held a VIP client appreciation event for our top travel industry and media partners, which included a special appearance by Dallas Cowboys' legend Drew Pearson.
- The team also coordinated an activation campaign in Mexico City, partnering with MedioTiempo.com, one of Mexico's leading sports websites, and American Airlines - as well as a second, related campaign in Monterrey, Mexico's third largest city. A total of five winners resulted from the activations and campaigns, and they will be hosted in Dallas for the pre-World Cup Mexico vs. Croatia soccer match at AT&T Stadium on March 27.
- The Tourism team met with the executive leadership of American Airlines' South Korea office while they were in Dallas to identify opportunities for expansion from that market. Projections for South Korean travel to the U.S. are quite robust.
- Tourism staff attended the Texas Music Educators Association conference, where we met with over 30 tour operators targeting the domestic student group market.
- In the first five months of this fiscal year, DTPID event applications have exceeded totals for all of last year (itself our record year), both in the number of applications received and the funding amount preapproved.
- Mark Thompson, senior vice president of tourism for VisitDallas, has been elected Americas Board Chairman for the Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International (HSMAI) for the two-year 2018-2019 term. Founded in 1927, HSMAI is a membership organization comprised of more than 7,000 members worldwide, with 40 chapters in the Americas Region.