Tourism - Executive Update
- Attended the Visit USA Italy show, meeting one-on-one with 92 tour operators, travel agents and media over two days. The team then attended ITB in Germany, the largest tourism trade show in Europe, meeting with almost 70 tour operators and travel agents to discuss new programs to Dallas for 2019. The team also joined Brand USA and other U.S. partners at the 2018 China Roadshow. In just five days, the team visited the four largest markets in this country, meeting one-on one with more than 140 tour operators and travel agents.
- Hosted the annual Receptive Operators and FIT Seminar for Dallas hotel partners, including Bonotel, Tourico Hotels, Hotelbeds, Mark Travel, Allied TPro, World2Meet and Rocky Mountain Holidays in two busy days of sites at new hotels in Dallas. These clients, top room-night producers for the leisure market, had the opportunity to present product development and opportunities to our hotels. Tourism also welcomed industry expert Patricia Voss, who talked to the hotels about the FIT market from a hotel perspective.
- Planned and conducted a combined PR/trade sales and media mission in Mexico City and held a very successful client event attended by Dallas Cowboys legend Drew Pearson. The team also coordinated an activation campaign in Mexico City, partnering with MedioTiempo.com, one of Mexico's leading sports websites, and American Airlines - as well as a second, related campaign in Monterrey, Mexico's third largest city. A total of five winners resulted from the activations and campaigns and were hosted in Dallas for the pre-World Cup Mexico vs. Croatia soccer match at AT&T Stadium March 27.
- Attended Expo Mayoristas in Mexico City, one of Mexico's largest travel industry trade shows.
- Tourism staff has been working closely with a new local receptive operator, STI Tours, in arranging their new "Shopping Express" shuttle service that will take guests from Hyatt Regency Reunion to NorthPark Center. Service launched April 2 with plans to expand to other downtown area hotels.
- Traveled to Atlanta to participate in the Active America China conference and attended the Texas Tourism Reverse U.S.-Canada Sales Marketplace.
- Hosted client Fams from Germany, Canada, Mexico, and China in Dallas.
- In the first five months of this fiscal year, DTPID event applications have exceeded totals for all of last year (itself our record year), both in the number of applications received and the funding amount preapproved.