There's no doubt about it - August in Texas is hot, y'all. So why do we still love August? It's the last full month of summer to dive into the best pools, drinks and summer attractions before school schedules begin again, the State Fair of Texas rolls back around, Autumn at the Arboretum brings on the pumpkins and Dallas turns into full fall mode. Whether you're going back-to-school shopping, taking one last summer vacation, avoiding the heat, or catching some rays, we have you covered with the must-dos of August in Dallas!
Drinks and dishes that taste like summer in Dallas
- Nothing says summer quite like classic cook-out foods. There's a new, can't pass up hangout spot in Dallas - ArtPark in Trinity Groves. This colorful art-filled beer garden offers beer, frozen cocktails and delicious hamburgers and hot dogs on a large colorful patio that boasts misting fans, tons of seating, TVs everywhere and fun lawn games.
- A frozen margarita from The Rustic on the Margarita Mile. The Legendary Rustic Rita - a frozen margarita featuring Osadia Blanco and a house-made mango popsicle with Patrón Citrónge - will cool you down on those summer nights.
- It's the last days of the season for fresh summer fruits and veggies! Get your fix at Bonton Farms and their two full farms, a farmer's market, cafe and coffee house! They grow organic food while supporting their neighbors and community. Pro tip: don't leave Bonton without a jar or two of their unbelievable honey butter!
Go Back-to-School Shopping
- For upscale shopping, check out exclusive shopping experiences like NorthPark Center or Forty Five Ten during your next retail outing. Dallas offers one-of-a-kind shopping experiences, brands and boutiques which are like no other.
- Stroll through three levels of shopping with stores for every budget at the Galleria Dallas. There's also an ice-skating rink and about 30 dining options on property.
- If finding hidden gems more sustainably and on a budget through thrift or vintage shopping is more your speed, check out this guide on where to find oldies but goodies in Dallas.
Take that Last Summer Vacation
- Swim, float or take a lap in Dallas' best hotel pools. Soak up the sun at Hotel Zaza's, secluded, Mediterranean-vibe pool with a delicious Summertime Shine cocktail in one hand and crispy jalapeno calamari in the other from their incredible in-house restaurant, Dragonfly. For a summer staycation, The Stoneleigh offers day passes to their pool and cozy cabanas through ResortPass! But trust us, you'll want to extend your pool day into an overnight visit at this historic Uptown gem!
- Check out Dallas Summer Musicals! From Wicked to Hamilton, there's truly something for everyone. Check out our events calendar to see what live shows are going on in August!
- Not up for vacationing abroad just yet? Stay stateside while you explore the world through the international cuisine of the Bishop Arts District. Indulge your taste buds with cuisines like Afghan from Nora, Italian from Lucia, French from Boulevardier and Mexican from Veracruz Cafe. We'll take all of the above, s'il vous plaît!
For more ways to keep it cool during peak Texas heat, check out our guide, How to Beat the Heat in Dallas.
Three Fun Days to Celebrate (and ways to enjoy them!)
- August 6 - International Beer Day. With many local breweries, dive bars, clubs and great pubs, there's no better place to celebrate.
- August 24 - National Waffle Day. Shameless plug - Dallas is truly a brunch-lovers paradise.
- August 26 - National Dog Day. Take your furry friend exploring with our Dog-Friendly Dallas itinerary.
And many, many more! Check out our events calendar to find more can't miss August events!