Sip, Sip Hooray! VisitDallas Launches the Margarita Mile
Dallas' newest attraction celebrates the city's distinguished margarita history, diverse drinks of today
DALLAS, Texas – (May 15, 2018) – Today VisitDallas stakes the claim – Dallas is the Official Home of the Frozen Margarita! – with the launch of the Margarita Mile, a collection of the city's best and most brazen margaritas.
You've heard of pub crawls and wine tastings – but Dallas takes it to the next level with this new attraction. The Margarita Mile is a collection of the best and brightest margaritas in the city, conveniently collected in a colorful app. It's not a one-and-done experience; the Margarita Mile will keep you and your friends coming back time and again to discover the diverse flavors of Dallas. Think of it as the ultimate margarita bucket list.
"We've been boasting to visiting friends and family about the intrinsic virtues of the Dallas frozen margarita for decades, and now the Margarita Mile is here to back up our bragging!" said Frank Librio, VisitDallas Chief Marketing Officer. "It was important for us to create a one-of-a-kind attraction for visitors, and our local residents, that is unique to Dallas."
Dallas' history with America's most famous frozen concoction is as storied as it is salty. In 1971, a clever restaurateur, Mariano Martinez, invented the frozen margarita machine – and since then the way Dallas drinks has never been the same. That first machine now sits in the Smithsonian National Museum of American History (it's kind of a big deal).
Since 1971 – Dallas hasn't stopped innovating. Your Dallas 'rita of today just might surprise you, with delicious twists like liquid nitrogen, boba or a full sangria popsicle nestled right in.
"We did the research and have served up the best margs in the city in one convenient package," said Librio. "Dallas has elevated the frozen margarita, and VisitDallas is all about elevating the visitor experience. We're so excited for people to try out the Margarita Mile and discover Dallas' great neighborhoods, restaurants and bars."
From the original – Mariano's in North Dallas – to Beto & Son in West Dallas, to Smoky Rose in East Dallas, there are 17 stops on the Margarita Mile* to leave you satisfied, and slightly slushy.
*Even a mile is bigger in Texas. (Give us a break, we like the name. Just go with it!)
- Who: Locals, visitors and any margarita aficionado searching for the perfect mix of fresh-squeezed fun. 21 and older, of course.
- When: The Margarita Mile launches today, May 15, 2018. Remember, we encourage sipping and There's no prize for finishing first; the real prize is sampling Dallas' diverse drinks – the spicy, the sweet, salty and sour. As always, please drink responsibly.
- Where: Downtown, Uptown, Deep Ellum and out West*, we searched high and low for margaritas showcasing the best of Dallas' diverse flavors. Wild Salsa goes spicy with pineapple and jalapeno; Matt's Rancho Martinez summons the southwest with prickly pear puree; and Café Herrera's sophisticated 'rita has blood orange and a black sea salt rim.
*So many margaritas, one little mile couldn't contain them.
- Why: Because beer's for your horses. In Dallas, we get right down to business with tequila, salt and lime. Oh, and because you can earn cool swag. Go-getters who check into three restaurants are 'Rita Rookies. Keep sipping and savoring to work your way up to 14 stops and you're a 'Rita Master, earning great gifts along the way.
- How: Thirsty for a little excitement? We have an app for that! The FREE Margarita Mile app is available on the Apple Store and Google Play. Download now to start your tasting tour. Download, drink, don't drive*.
*No kidding, drinking and driving is seriously uncool. Don't do it. Check out the "Getting Around" portion of the app for safe transportation options.
Visit www.MargaritaMileDallas.com for more details, to download the app and to sign up for our exclusive Margarita Mile newsletter.
Find Margarita Mile images and logos for media use here. Please credit VisitDallas.
VisitDallas markets Dallas as the ideal visitor and convention destination in Texas. Dallas – The Most Texan City in Texas – celebrates its heritage in hospitality, and it's the one city where Southern meets modern and legacy meets luxury. Dallas is the leading business and financial center in the Southwest offering travelers an unparalleled array of amenities and a central location with two major airports with more domestic nonstop flights than any other U.S. city. As the ninth-largest U.S. city, and part of the fourth-largest metropolitan area in the nation, Dallas is the top visitor destination in Texas. You really can do it all in Dallas. For more information, visit www.visitdallas.com.
Director of Communications, VisitDallas