Save on admission and your favorite state fair foods.
Posted on Sep 10, 2019 By Ashley Turner
The State Fair of Texas opens Sept. 27 and we're counting down the days to get our Fletcher's Corny Dog fix. Luckily for us, the fair offers plenty of discounts to save on admission so you can put your hard-earned dollars toward the important stuff – like a ride on the Texas Star, tickets to one of the football games or some handmade goodies featured in the Creative Arts Building. Any way we can save a few dollars, we'll take it!
Here's how to save at the gate during the entire run of the fair:
- Buy your tickets online. Not only can you skip the line, but tickets are $1.50 less than when purchased via BigTex.com.
- Buy a season pass! A $45 season pass allows you 24 days of admission, meaning you could technically go every day for $1.87. If that's not enough of a selling point, a season pass also gets you one free bring-a-friend ticket, along with a free 2019 State Fair of Texas reusable bag and various discounts throughout the fair.
- If you're traveling with a big group (20 or more), consider discounted group tickets, which offer savings around 50 percent.
- Discounted tickets are also offered through DART, Dallas' public transportation system. General admission tickets purchased through the DART GoPass app are $16; child/senior tickets are $12.
- Stop by your local Kroger grocery store to purchase advance tickets; they offer $16.50 general admission tickets and season passes for $39.95.
- If you're coming to the fair in the evening (after 5 p.m.), bring along an empty Dr. Pepper can for half off a general admission ticket.
- Before you recycle your McDonald's leftovers, check the tray liner or takeout bag for a $5 off general admission coupon. The coupon can also be used for half price off a children's ticket (with purchase of a general admission ticket).
How to save on Opening Day (Friday, Sept. 27):
- Active and retired military and veterans receive free admission. Valid documentation of military service must be presented at the gate.
- Bring a full 20 oz. Bottle of Dasani water (or any 20 oz. Coca-Cola product) to get for $9 on Opening Day. The donation will go to the North Texas Food Bank.
Other day-specific discounts:
First Responders Day (Friday, Oct. 11)
The Fair will recognize all first responders and their contributions to the community with a special day honoring their service. All active and retired public law enforcement, firefighters, paramedics, and other emergency service agencies will receive free admission to the Fair when they present a valid badge or ID. Additionally, up to three admission tickets will be available for their family members.
Tuesdays (Oct. 1, 8 and 15)
- Come to the Fair for Dr Pepper half-price Tuesdays. Bring an empty Dr Pepper can and receive a $9 admission ticket.
- Head to the Midway and save – most rides are a reduced price on Tuesdays.
Wednesdays (Oct. 2, 9 and 16)
- Bring four cans of food to the Fair gates as a donation towards the North Texas Food Bank on any Wednesday and receive a $4 admission ticket. Keep in mind – one four-can donation per person!
Thursdays (Oct. 3, 10 and 17)
- Experience the Fair during Thrifty Thursdays! Every Thursday, most items, including the popular cotton candy, corny dogs and funnel cakes, are between two and seven coupons, saving almost half the cost on most items. Check here for the full list of Thrifty Thursday.
- Senior citizens 60 years and better get into the Fair FREE every Thursday.
- Bring an empty 20 oz. bottle of any Coca-Cola product and receive $9 admission.
We'll keep adding to this list as more discounts are announced. For a full rundown of discounts – and all the fine print for each of these – head to BigTex.com.
Bonus: You can also snag discounted tickets at our Visitor Experience Center for $13 (plus a $3 processing fee) for children, adults and seniors. Stop by and speak to our Tourist Information Specialists to take advantage of this offer!