As summer turns to autumn and temps begin to dip a little, September in Dallas brings colorful food and art, community events and, of course, the State Fair of Texas! This month offers perfect opportunities to take a quick weekend trip and enjoy indulgent dishes, one more dip in the pool, and all the food, fun and nostalgic feelings that the September has to offer.
Here are the must-dos of September in Dallas!
Things to Sip and Savor this September
- Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept. 15 - Oct. 15) with authentic flavors of Mexico at Xaman Cafe on Jefferson Boulevard in Oak Cliff. Stop by for a horchata latte, Chilaquiles, or a Cafe con Mezcal. Bonus - they're open daily for brunch!
- Funnel cakes, Fletcher's Corny Dogs, turkey legs and the fried goodness you could imagine – one of the State Fair of Texas' biggest draws is the food! From Sept. 30 - Oct. 23, munch your way through Fair Park and all of its tasty goodness.
- Sip through the Margarita Mile. Check into one or many of the delicious stops and sip on some of the best and brightest margaritas in Dallas. Get your pass here to get the good times rolling and to win free swag along the way.
Football, Festivities and Fair Fun
- It wouldn't be fall without football! The Dallas Cowboys will take on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday, Sept. 11 at AT&T Stadium.* Don't miss a minute of the action with our guide, Where to Watch The Dallas Cowboys This Fall. SMU student, fan or alum? These watering holes are fan favorites that will keep you within minutes of the SMU game day action. Check out these 6 game day hot spots for football Saturdays near SMU.
- Beginning Sept. 17, the Dallas Arboretum brings in 90,000 pumpkins, gourds and squash to celebrate Autumn at the Arboretum. Now in its 16th year, they've created a new pumpkin village location behind the Jonsson Color Garden. Your kids are sure to love the theme this year: A Fall Fairy Tail! Displays will feature classic fairy tale storylines as well as the corn maze and over 100,000 pumpkins.
- After two years since visitors enjoyed the State Fair of Texas in all its glory, the fair festivities return on Sept. 30! With classic favorites and new flavors, there's so much to love about the Fair. Check out this guide to find 6 things you can't miss at this year's State Fair!
Three Fun Days to Celebrate (and ways to enjoy them!)
- Sept. 4 - National Wildlife Day. Celebrate cute, cuddly, fierce or fishy friends in the city at the Dallas Zoo or Dallas World Aquarium - or both!
- Sept. 5 - Labor Day. Check out our collection of events of fun things going on throughout Labor Day weekend!
- Sept. 16 - Cheeseburger Day. Is there anything better than a juicy cheeseburger? Here are some of our favorites!
Notable August Events and Attractions:
- Sept. 3: Free First Saturdays - Nasher Sculpture Garden
- Sept. 3: Imagine Dragons - Dos Equis Pavillion
- Sept. 6-18: Aint Too Proud (musical) - Fair Park
- Sept. 10: Dallas Observer Brewfest - Dallas Farmers Market
- Sept. 17: Texas Latino Pride Festival - Reverchon Park
- Sept. 30: State Fair of Texas opening day - Fair Park
And many, many more! Check out our events calendar to find more can't miss September events!
*AT&T Stadium is a member of VisitDallas.