As summer turns to autumn and temps begin to dip a little, September in Dallas brings colorful food and art, community events and, of course, the State Fair of Texas! This month offers perfect opportunities to take a quick weekend trip and enjoy indulgent dishes, one more dip in the pool, and all the food, fun and nostalgic feelings that the State Fair of Texas has to offer.
Here are the must-dos of September in Dallas!
Things to Sip and Savor this September
- Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept. 15 - Oct. 15) with authentic flavors of Mexico at Xaman Cafe on Jefferson Boulevard in Oak Cliff. Stop by for a horchata latte, Chilaquiles, or a Cafe con Mezcal. Bonus - they're open daily for brunch!
- Funnel cakes, Fletcher's Corny Dogs, turkey legs and the fried goodness you could imagine – one of the State Fair of Texas' biggest draws is the food! From Sept. 24 - Oct. 17, munch your way through Fair Park and all of its tasty goodness.
- Take your last sips of the Margarita Mile as we know it. Check into one or all 17 stops before the end of Margarita Mile Season One ends on Sept. 30. Don't worry - the drinks and restaurants aren't going anywhere! The Margarita Mile will relaunch Feb. 22, 2022 (National Margarita Day) for Season Two as a new and improved app experience with new sips and stops to conquer and enjoy.
Football, Festivities and Fair Fun
- It wouldn't be fall without football! The Dallas Cowboys will take on the Philadelphia Eagles on Monday, Sept. 27 at AT&T Stadium.* Don't miss a minute of the action with our guide, Where to Watch The Dallas Cowboys This Fall. SMU student, fan or alum? These watering holes are fan favorites that will keep you within minutes of the SMU game day action. Check out these 6 game day hot spots for football Saturdays near SMU.
- Beginning Sept. 18, the Dallas Arboretum brings in 90,000 pumpkins, gourds and squash to celebrate Autumn at the Arboretum. Now in its 16th year, they've created a new pumpkin village location behind the Jonsson Color Garden. Your kids are sure to love the theme this year: Bugtopia! Displays will feature massive insect topiaries and other bugged-out pumpkin houses as well as the classic maze.
- After two years since visitors enjoyed the State Fair of Texas in all its glory, the fair festivities return on Sept. 24! With classic favorites and new flavors, there's so much to love about the Fair. Check out this guide to find 6 things you can't miss at this year's State Fair! (link)
Three Fun Days to Celebrate (and ways to enjoy them!)
- Sept. 4 - National Wildlife Day. Celebrate cute, cuddly, fierce or fishy friends in the city at the Dallas Zoo or Dallas World Aquarium - or both!
- Sept. 6 - Labor Day. Check out our collection of events of fun things going on throughout Labor Day weekend!
- Sept. 16 - Cheeseburger Day. Is there anything better than a juicy cheeseburger? Here are some of our favorites!
Notable August Events and Attractions:
- Sept. 3-5: Coco - Live in Concert - Meyerson Symphony Center
- Sept. 10-12: Deep Ellum Arts Festival - Deep Ellum
- Sept. 11: Dallas Observer Brewfest - Dallas Farmers Market
- Sept. 17-19: Fan Expo Dallas - Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas
- Sept. 24: State Fair of Texas opening day - Fair Park
- Sept. 25: State Fair Classic - Cotton Bowl Stadium
- Sept. 25: Texas Latinx Pride Fest 2021 - Reverchon Park
And many, many more! Check out our events calendar to find more can't miss September events!
*AT&T Stadium is a member of VisitDallas.