When the weather outside is frightful, these local spots are quite delightful.
Posted on Dec 19, 2019 By David C Justin
If inclement weather has you bummed out and you're looking for something to do with friends, family or just people that you find mildly entertaining, get out of the house but stay comfortably indoors with these awesome local adventures.
1. Stay cooped up in your house for too long and you'll be ready to get out and release some energy. Get physical and recapture middle school glory with Dallas Dodgeball, located at the Walnut Hill Recreation Center in North Dallas. Open play is available on select Monday and Thursday nights or join one of the many leagues so you can dodge and bombard your way to victory!
2. If you're looking for something a little more cutting edge, Bad Axe Throwing is definitely a place you want to check out. Located off I-30 just east of Deep Ellum, get in touch with your inner lumberjack while spending some quality time with the people you absolutely trust with your life.
3. Meet up with fellow bibliophiles, have a drink and discuss your favorite authors at Wild Detectives. Part bookstore, part bar, this small bookstore, which features the works of many local artists, is perfectly at home in the Bishop Arts District and hosts readings, musical acts, tastings and screenings.
4. Tired of dark bars where you can't tell what your friends look like? The popular Trinity Hall Irish Pub is well-lit so you can actually see their faces without squinting. Located near SMU, join the regulars for rugby and soccer watching parties, live music, whiskey tastings and a large variety of craft beers.
5. If you'd prefer spending your quality time learning something new, book a class at The Cookery in the Design District. With a wide variety of hands-on cooking classes, you'll learn more than you ever thought possible about international, regional and seasonal cuisine. And the best part is that you get to eat the multi-course meal you prepared during class!
6. What goes great with that fantastic meal you just learned to make? A great beer, of course! Drop by the Deep Ellum Brewing Company and learn about its namesake neighborhood, the history of the brewery and how beer is made. Then go to the taproom and sample some of the best brews Deep Ellum has to offer.